Getting started for Alugraphy today.
Tape's my Alugraphy mentor. He helped me with sanding my plate and told me to be free to use any oil based medium to draw on the plate. Since my initial sketch was made in ink, I figured I could mix some offset ink into turpentine to mimic it on the plate.
I used pencil in the second sketch on the plate. It didn't work as well. Grind again, redraw.
Tape was very quiet the entire time. This technique has taken a toll on all of our spirits. It was really a trying time for the three of us as we kept failing with our plates. The drawings could not be fixed well, and upon further inking, had grease marks appear. It could be the sanding , it could be the medium used to draw, it could be, anything. But we did not know the root so we couldn't solve the problem.
I was very frustrated because I could not get the steps. It has been a long time since I have been faced with such a problem in art making. It's a good thing, I don't see it negatively. This problem has got all of us to work our brains, which has been stuck in a safe routine all this while, creating things that 'worked'.
I was also not proud that Tape and Rully printed the first colour of the alugraphy edition for me.
Bowls of Bakso appeared like magic just as when I was feeling very stressed from the day. I was very pleasantly surprised, and it was nice to finally eat together like a family.
Not giving up, I tried a smaller plate.
All I can say is that, it was really challenging. What I thought would only take 30 minutes to learn, took us an entire day.